Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Weingut Schwarzböck - Grüner Veltliner


Last night I had the pleasure of attending the Boston Wine Writer's Meet-up at the Boston Wine School in Allston, MA.

To my pleasant surprise, a fellow writer had brought along an Austrian Grüner I'd never had before from Weingut Schwarzböck located just outside of Vienna.

Of course this was one of the first wines I opted to try! The nose was distinctly Grüner Veltliner, but without the pungent citrus nose that can sometimes over power everything else. There was much more apple and stone fruit to the nose of this wine which I found a pleasant lead-in to the palate. The wine was medium bodied and had a persistent structure that really made me stop and think, "yum."

The wine was definitely a crowd-pleaser - but then again, isn't Grü-V always a crowd pleaser? ;)

No comments: