Thursday, May 7, 2009

Greetings and Salutations

Oy. I've been racking my brain in hopes of producing a witty, informative, and entertaining first post, but then I realized my manners. Hello, everyone. My name is Laurie and I'm the author of Petite Terroir.

Currently, I'm a social media marketing manager at
Brand Action Team, LLC, which is located in my bustling hometown of Avon, CT.

I'm working on a extensive marketing project with the Austrian Wine Marketing Board. The project includes reaching out to wine bloggers (all 600+ of us, lol) as well as an e-commerce component. I look forward to visiting Austria in June for the 2009 Austrian Wine Summit. And I'll be attending the 2009 Wine Bloggers' Conference in Napa this July.

A little more about me: I was raised by a mother from France and a father from Iran (that's them on their wedding day in 1972. Hello, crazy Pucci wedding dress!). My Dad lived in France on and off for nearly twenty years. Interesting fact about my Dad: loves expensive, French wine, but drinks cheap, American beer (like Piels). My Mom arrived from Paris in 1976. I think it goes without saying that the type of wine I've been most exposed to is French. Cabernet Sauvignon, in particular.


However, as wonderful French wine is I enjoy tasting and drinking wines from other regions, too. Terroir changes everything. C'est vrai, non?
I've had a great deal of exposure to Austrian wines since beginning this marketing project. I'm particularly fond of Austrian dessert wines. They are sweet, syrupy, luscious gold in my humble opinion. I'm looking forward to tasting those made by Kracher when I reach Austria. Of the non-dessert wines, the Laurenz V Singing Grϋner Veltliner is another favorite. It certainly does "sing."

Next week I'm attending an event at the Austrian Consulate General in New York City. The event will feature an Austrian wine tasting from importers
Vin Divino, Michael Skurnick Wines, Prescott Wines, Inc., Darcy and Huber Selections, Monika Caha Selections, and Winemonger Imports.

Recently, I stopped by my local wine shop for a bottle of
Bonny Doon Vineyard's Big House Red. I asked the store clerk to show me their Austrian wine selection. Unsurprisingly, it consisted of only about six wines, all whites, mostly GVs, no desert wines or reds. However, over the past half-decade Austria's wine exports have enjoyed a 250% increase, so I hope to see more of their varietals in our retail shops and online, and not just in major cities.

More to come at a later date. Thanks very much for stopping by. À votre santé!

No comments: